Wednesday 9 July 2014

Hand-woven scarves from Noro Blossom

Whilst touring in Scotland recently I was surprised to find some Noro Blossom yarns in a wool shop.  I couldn't stop myself buying up all the hanks of this discontinued yarn, four of one colour and three of another.  The yarn is 40% wool, 30% kid mohair, 20% silk and 10% nylon which I  have found previously makes a very colourful, soft touching, bulky feeling scarf when hand-woven.
I have now completed weaving three scarves from these beautiful yarns.



The first, using 4 hanks (200g) of Noro Blossom #25 shows the remarkable multicolour and texture of this yarn.  I have used the yarn as both the warp and weft which results in an eye-catching warm, soft and bulky feeling scarf of 1750mm x 210mm and weighing 184g.

With only 150g of Noro Blossom #22 I was restricted to using it as the weft of two scarves.  In one scarf I used a hand-dyed silver birch coloured merino wool as the warp and the scarf is 1570mm x 205mm and weighs 124g.   The other scarf used a hand-dyed sage coloured merino wool as the warp and the scarf is shorter and lighter being 1400mm x 205mm and weighs 90g.  Both show up the bands of colours that occur in the Noro Blossom yarn.


These three scarves are all very special, made from a bright, multi-coloured, warm and soft feeling yarn, and each is unique.  They will be on sale at Aspects of Kings Park or the September event of Perth Upmarket depending upon stock movement.

No comments: