Sunday 1 July 2007

Sunday 1 July 2007

I have now started to weave a piece of material 6m long x 80cm wide (It is actually 95cm through the reed so have allowed plenty for shrinkage). It is a stripped fabric in charcoal and feathering 1-ply natural wool (from Bilby Yarns) and woven in a herring-bone pattern.


It looks very nice and my plan is to have it made into a sports jacket, provided I can find a suitable tailor. It seems a very large amount of cloth for a jacket but just wanted to be on the safe side. A tailor told me they usually use 2.1m of 160cm wide material for jackets, so as I can only make about 80cm wide (100cm through the reed but have to allow for shrinkage), I have doubled the length and then added 50% just to be on the safe time. My aim is to finish weaving it by the end of July so will have to see how I go.

No comments: